Published by Macmillan on October 13, 2015
Genres: Young Adult
Welcome to my stop on the blog tour for First & Then, where the blogs are sorted into book superlatives! You can see by the graphic that there are a lot of fun categories. Ex Libris was chosen to talk about the character that I'd most like to get stuck on a desert island with! You know what? It was a tough decision!
I asked Emma Mills to give me some insight into her criteria for a desert island partner. She was kind enough to give us her top five essential characteristics:
Top 5 essential characteristics for any desert island companion
1) Good sense of humor—we’re going to need it if we’re stuck on a desert island with no wifi.
2) Similar music tastes as me so we can do harmonies on all my favorite songs—or at least a willingness to learn the harmonies to all my favorite songs.
3) Survival skills— I have none. I need a Bear Grylls type.
4) Good at charades— it’ll give us something to do.
5) Chris Hemsworth— it would be a definite plus if my desert island companion was Chris Hemsworth.
Well, I can’t say I disagree with any of this reasoning, Emma. I thought about picking a Jane Austen character, and even though there are some swoony and practical folks to choose from, I’m not sure the bucolic leisure of the English countryside really makes for the best desert island survival training. I couldn’t just pick one person because I read too many books and it’s just not possible, so I picked two.
You’re probably thinking that I am going to pick some hot guy to be stranded with, right? Sure, I could have taken the easy road covered in six pack abs, but the name of the game is survival, people, and I can’t think of anyone who has survived more screwed up %&$# than Claire Elizabeth Beauchamp Randall Fraser Randall Fraser Grey Fraser from Outlander. (That’s right.)
Why? Well, duh, field nurse.
She’s got nursing skills (later doctor skills) but the real asset is that she
1) knows which plants will kill us and
2) can fix wounds with nothing more than vines, leaves, and salt water. I definitely plan on getting hurt a lot while stranded on an island. I mean, what else is there to do?
Another excellent choice would be Alina Starkov from the Grisha Trilogy
While the heat of a desert island might be a little weird for her, there is no arguing with the fact that this girl is tough as nails and would not put up with my whining about sunburns, sand fleas, and nothing to eat but coconuts. She is a former cartographer’s assistant, so she could totally map out the island for us. Plus, having a Grisha around when you’re in a jam is always, always a good idea, right?
So, there you have it. Perhaps I didn’t go with the hunkiest choices, but I would live, and that’s what matters.
Although, abs would be nice, too…….
Oh, shut up, Jamie!
Macmillan is putting up a book to give away! You must be 13+ to enter. Open o US residents only. Good Luck!